Thursday, May 10, 2012

Vegan Gnocchi


Vegan no-ricotta Gnocchi 

Let me start by saying that I could have gone the easy route making these vegan and just used potatoes, but as my dad always said, “when they’re made with ricotta they’re lighter and I can eat more.”

A wise man my dad is. 

The first time I made vegan ricotta gnocchi I made a couple of mistakes.  1. I used eggs and 2. I used two $4.00 tubs of vegan ricotta.  Now, I love gnocchi, but I don’t love them eight+ dollars worth!  I’m a frugal woman. 

So here is a modified recipe that uses tofu and it’s quite delicious, have a taste!


Let me add quickly that I use the tofu that you can buy on the shelf.  It comes in a cardboard box and it is probably half the price of refrigerated tofu. 


So here we go.  What You Need:

14 oz firm tofu (drained) crumbled
2 tbl lemon juice
3 tbl vegan parm
2 tea garlic powder
1 tea nutmeg
4 oz tofutti cream cheese
2 cups white flour + ½ cup to kneed in if needed.  (I usually need this.)  (and ps you can use wheat if that’s what you prefer, but I swear using white makes them taste almost the same as regular gnocchi)


The Fun Part:

-          Combine all ingredients (I don’t even dirty a bowl- just use the counter top- the old fashioned way)
-          Kneed dough until no longer super sticky
-          Roll out into snakes (or logs -if you’re an adult)
-          Cut into bite size pieces
-          Make a thumb print into each one (gives the sauce somewhere to go – you can also do this the fancy-schmancy way and use a fork to roll them, but I just see that as wasted time, my belly doesn't have the time to wait for me to use this method!)
-          *If you are going to freeze them, nows the time to do that.*

Cook in a pot of boiling water for 6 minutes – until they’re all floating toward the top of the pot.  You'll have to do a few batches, it will be worth it.  

Serve with pasta sauce and munch J


Little hands love to help :)


No comments:

Post a Comment