Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Meatless Loaf - Tofu/Vegan


Meatless Loaf

There isn’t much I can say about meatless meat loaf.  It is what it is, ya know?  I don’t think I had meatloaf until I was about 15.  I was at my tante’s (if you don’t know what that is, google it.) house and she served it up- I fell in love. 

Why does meatloaf have such a bad stigma behind it?!?  Beats me.  It quickly became one of my favorite meals.  That is, until I became vegan.  Bye bye meat. 

Hello Meatless Loaf!

Little hands love to help! 



ps. I added celery to mine, but I wasn't impressed so I omitted it from my recipe :)
(that's the green stuff you see in the loaf)

So here we go.  What You Need:

1 sweet potato
1 can white beans – drained- (I use butter beans, what else?)
1 pkg. (14 oz) tofu
2 carrots – grated
½ onion – grated
2 cloves garlic- grated or chopped
2 tbl soy sauce
2 tbl worcestershire sauce (I had to google how to spell that crap.)
2 tbl ketchup
1 tbl mustard
1 packet meatloaf seasonings (McCormick is what I use)
¾ cup breadcrumbs (or oats, or ground crackers- whatever you usually use for meatloaf)

The Fun Part

- Cook the sweet potato (I nuke in microwave for 5 minutes then peal skins off & mash)
- In pan cook grated onion carrots and onion, just for a few minutes to soften.  --Optional.
- Drain beans, rinse, and mash
- Crumble tofu in bowl
- Add in grated onion, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, meatloaf seasonings, and breadcrumbs. 
- form into mini loafs (or put in loaf pan) - I make mini loafs- takes less time to cook and easy serving sizes.  This recipe makes 13 Kim-hand size loafs.  
- top w/ bread crumbs

Cook in 350 for 25 minutes – or if using loaf pan cook for 1 hr.

Enjoy the meatless-ness J


No comments:

Post a Comment