Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kale and butter bean hot "salad"



Kale Salad

I discovered something this week… something Wonderful!  Butter beans!  Butter…. Beans! Unbelievable, I had a Paula Dean moment-- Ohhh yes ya’ll! 

I can’t believe I have never eaten them in my entire life!  They’re so creamy, yum.   I will add that growing up my family had a very limited number of meals that we repeated often.  I won’t say that they weren’t good, but I am saying that there were not that many. ;-)

I digress… Since I am living a plant strong life, I find that I am constantly finding wonderous new(-to-me) foods; and I am so glad the butter bean has found it’s way to my mouth!

This recipe can work as a main course and serve 2 – or as a side dish and serve 4 (not too hungry people) lol

1 onion – chopped
1 can butter beans – drained (or any white bean)
2 to 3 handfulls of chopped kale (or any other greens you like or have on hand)
1 Lemon --the juice – or substitute oil
2 garlic cloves – or sprinkle of garlic powder
Sprinkle of pepper
Sprinkle of nutmeg
Oil for cooking

*If you don’t have an ingredient above – who cares?  It’s your kitchen, this is now your recipe, and you’re the cook- put what you want into the dish! J

Cut the onion and cook in hot pan (drizzled with oil if you choose)
cook for about 3-5 minutes until onions are soft and browning
add garlic

drain the butter beans and add to pan – add a few drizzles of oil
Cook for a few minutes until the beans start bursting- stir occationally

Once beans start to burst, add a few handfuls of kale- big hands? Use two handfuls.  Small hands? Use three.  Love greens? Add more. 

Squeeze lemon juice over kale and add spices (pepper, nutmeg, garlic pdr)
Cook until greens are wilted

Enjoy J

No comments:

Post a Comment