Sunday, May 6, 2012

Black Bean Brownies


Bangin Black Bean Brownies

I know what you’re thinking.  Black beans in brownies??  Sick.  I know, I know.  It does sound kind of gag worthy- but I promise, the brownies (nor the batter for that matter) taste like beans!  And they are so moist- more fudgy than cake like for sure!  They remind me of the cake from Matilda that the boy is forced to eat in front of the entire school... don't pretend you don't know what i'm talking about! 


I actually don’t even know why beans are added…an added nutritional benefit I suppose?  Maybe to make you feel less guilty for eating brownies?  It’s kind of like making artichoke and asparagus dip—if you’ve ever made it, you know it’s loaded with calories, but the title makes it seem healthy… muahaha the tricks…


I found a black bean brownie recipe, but made a few adjustments to make it that much better (and easier).  

So here we go- eggless brownies that taste so licious!  I dare you not to lick the bowl (since you totally can b/c they’re eggless!!)  My daughter went crazy.


What you Need - This recipe feeds 1 chocolate lover.

1 can black beans—drained, rinsed, cooked, and mashed. 
1 ½ cups wheat flour
½ cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking pdr
½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups almond milk (or any non- dairy milk, or water, or hey-cows milk if you so choose)
1 tsp vanilla

You can also add walnuts/ chocolate chips if you like.  

The Fun Part

- in pot dump drained beans – add a bit of water, maybe ¼ cup, to cook- let cook until water evaporates- then mash with potato masher, or fork-
-Combine dry ingredients
-Combine wet ingredients (this includes beans)
-Add dry ingredients to wet

Grease and flour an 8x8 pan (or use a 12x9 if you want thinner brownies)
   *I line my baking pan with wax paper- then grease and flour- it makes it easier to take     
    out of the pan to cool)

350 degrees for 35- 40 minutes

Let cool- or cut yourself a sliver, I won’t tell ;-)

Enjoy the yummy goodness! 



1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! We made these today and they are fuuuuudgey. They have a slightly weird "bounce" to them though, compared to traditional brownies. But for a vegan brownie, they are delish <3 We made ours with chocolate almond milk. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete