Monday, May 7, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


Hummus.  It’s a vegan staple!  Be honest, you love the creamy crap out of it!  I will be honest with you – brace yourselves – I hate chick peas.  Hate.  They are SO nasty.  I have tried to eat them many different ways, and I just… can’t.  Hummus is the only way to get them in my belly. 


Hummus is so versatile, and can be used on SO many things!  As a dip for veggies, pretzels, chips, on Sammies, {veggie} burgers, use it as frosting on a cake… okay kidding about the last part.. but you should really try that and tell me how it goes ;-)


Notice how there are still burnt chards on the red pepper??
As my dad {and nonni} say
"it's good for your complexion."
My Daughter eats it with a spoon



Back to hummie-ness – This recipe is so easy- all hummus is.  I promise you will never spend $5.00 on store bought hummus again once you realize how simple and cheap it is to make it yourself!

Here’s What You Need
1 roasted red pepper (roasted yourself or out of a can)
2 cloves of garlic
1 can chick peas / garbanzo beans – drained and rinsed
¼ tea chilli powder
1 tea cumin
Few dashes of pepper
*add whatever other spices you care for, they’re your taste buds!  I don’t care..

The Fun Part

-          Roast the pepper- I do it on my gas stove top.  On high place the pepper over the flame- turn after a minute or so.  Keep turning with tongs until the whole pepper is roasted.  Place in a covered bowl- let steam for 5 minutes or so until it’s cool enough to handle – rub the burnt skin off, gut, and slice. 


-         In a blender combine all of ingredients

-          Blend – it you need some liquid to get it going add some chick pea juice from the can- if you’ve already drained it you can add some lemon juice. Or water. 


-          Enjoy the yummy goodness J


No comments:

Post a Comment