Monday, May 14, 2012

Spaetzle and Goulash


Since I have added two vegan-modified recipes that my father taught me, it’s only fair that I share a recipe from my mother’s side of the family.  Ergo tonight’s meal –


Spaetzle and goulash. 

Now I know goulash is an often referred to term used by Americans as an ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ recipe. It actually has a different recipe for different parts of the world. This recipe was, like nutella, a staple in my home growing up all thanks to my oma.  This is the Hungarian style.

Every time I make it, it reminds me of a lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing else to do but feel the wind blow through the open windows.  Gotta love those comfort meals. 


I have also made this Hungarian staple meal vegan.  It was simple- I just omitted the meat and replaced it with some fancy mushrooms – the perfect meat substitute!  Although, if you’re not vegan/vegetarian, by all means, cut up some bloody top round.  It’s your body!




So here we go.  What You Need

For the Goulash
8 oz portabella mushrooms diced (or sliced) (or meat, or not ya know, whatever, your choice)
1 onion (or ½ large) chopped
2 bell peppers (whatever color you love)
3 cups of water
2 packets brown gravy mix (some have a milk protein in them, check the label)
¼ cup paprika
     *you can also use the goulash mix by knorr instead of gravy mix & paprika*

For the Spaetzle

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 flax egg (1 tbl ground flax seed + 3 tbl water)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg

The Fun Part:

- in large pot add mushrooms, onions, and peppers – let cook until softened – about 5 minutes
- add the water, gravy mix, and paprika.  Bring to boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. And you’re done.

-          Meanwhile in a bowl add flax egg, water, salt, and nutmeg.  Let rest for 15 minutes.
-          While it’s resting, boil a big pot of water.  Use a spaetzle maker or a colander to push the dough through and into the water.  Let boil for 5 minutes or until pasta starts to float.  – do this in a couple of batches so the water isn’t too crowded and the spaetzle doesn't stick to itself.  





No comments:

Post a Comment