Monday, May 7, 2012

Peanut Stew


Peanut Stew

I initially wasn’t going to post this recipe, because it wasn’t my favorite, but I figured- if I’m ever in a pinch, find myself craving peanut butter, tomatoes, and potatoes, it would be nice to have this recipe handy.  Since it’s super fast, easy, and includes ingredients that I almost always have on hand.  

I know it doesn’t look too appealing (I’m not a photographer, I can’t make something look good that doesn’t!), but I promise it’s better than it looks, at least a little bit ;-)


Little nostalgia rant:  The first time I had a peanut sauce was when my husband – then boyfriend- made it for me at his parent’s house.  He gave me the simple task of cooking the rice.  Effortless right?  Wrong.  Lets just say I wasn’t quite the … er… cook back then.  I was quite the opposite.  What happened you ask?  I’m so glad you asked…

Apparently I had no idea how to cook rice in a pot.  My family always used instant rice.. the simpler things in life!  So I don’t think I stirred the rice once, and when I lifted the lid and stirred it after 20 minutes of cooking, I was greeted by an enormous bottom layer of burnt rice.  Hehee—My then boyfriend, being the wonderful man that he is (or incredibly ignorant of kitchen happenings) said “isn’t that suppose to happen?”  lol…

So Here’s What You Need --- This recipe feeds 4 ladies and 2 men. 

2 potatoes (or one huge honkin one) -cubed and boiled
½ onion – diced
1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes (or crush a couple of tomatoes yourself)
½ peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, whatever you have)
½ can of garbanzo beans (about 1 cup)
2 tbl soy sauce – or tamari
1 tea Italian seasoning
1 tea pepper
½ tea ginger
2 cups brown rice – cooked (it takes 1 cup dry to make 2 cups cooked)


The Fun Part

-          dice potatoes and plop them in a pot of boiling water, let cook for about 10 minutes, until fork tender.
-          In separate pot cook onions on high heat until translucent and browning
-          Add crushed tomatoes, peanut butter, beans, and spices. 
-          Cover and let cook until potatoes are done.
-          Add potatoes to pot

Serve over rice and enjoy J


No comments:

Post a Comment